Get out gardening with the kids this week as the sun is (at last!) shining and there's no better time to be outside getting your hands and knees well and truly muddy.
This week the first big flower show of the year, the RHS Flower Show Cardiff, is bursting with ways to get the whole family outside, including a wheelbarrow competition, making a bee hotel and tree climbing. Have a go at these fun activities at home too:
- Sowing seeds is always popular. Larger seeds like courgettes, cosmos and marigolds are easier for little fingers to handle.
- Hold a sunflower-growing competition! Choose tall varieties like 'Russian Giant' and plant seeds straight in the ground now.
- Build a wormery with a large jar filled with layers of sand and soil. Send the kids on earthworm hunts so they can watch their fascinating underground life.
- Go on a night safari with a torch and a notebook. Moths, beetles, voles, and hedgehogs are among garden wildlife more active after dark.
- Make a seed tray garden with squares of turf for lawns and stick fences. You'll be amazed what the kids find to create miniature plants, trees, buildings and even people!
The RHS Flower Show Cardiff runs from 19-21 April: for more information go to www.rhs.org.uk.